Interviews

27/08/2013

Hooked On Classics


I've been listening to a lot of Clean Bandit lately - they're ace, 'check them out' if you will. But what they've really got me thinking about is my relationship to classical music and pop music, and how these big block busting melodies - despite the pomp and circumstance of being orchestral - are really covert pop songs. I had this epiphany when I was about 12 years old, sat in on the swings in Hall Park with my walkman obsessively listening to Hooked On Classics cassettes. I nearly wore them thin: It's such a simple concept, putting a relentless 4/4 drum beat underneath a greatest hits classical mash up. It's almost insultingly simple compared to what Clean Bandit are doing, but it all fits perfectly with my own compulsive listening habits. Somehow I've spent most of this year oscillating between Ke$ha's backcatalouge and Mendelssohn's violin concerto. And somehow Clean Bandit manage slot neatly into the gap between the two.