Interviews

21/01/2013

Cocoa


Thanks to TFL's planned engineering works and inability to cope with The Weather, I found myself happily wandering around Brondesbury. This allowed me to pay my silent respects to the much missed Luminaire venue, and wonder why The Good Ship hasn't put on any good gigs or events recently. Cocoa's confusing promise of Grill / Patisserie was enough to pique my interest, along with a special offer sign. Turns out they do a fine coffee and impressive selection of cakes - those large industry standard ones. I opted for the carrot cake, each slice adorned with a neon piped icing carrot. They are exactly the same as the ones served near the corn exchange in Leeds, allowing me my own Proustian Madeleine Moment. The place is a guache mix of up-market dining, electrical hazard tape and above average cafe fair. I eyed up their hand drawn 'stAFF wanted' sign and pondered the implication of the errant upper case letters.

Coffee + cake is £3. 10% discount for students (except paninis)

Cocoa, 271-273 Kilburn High Road, NW6 7JR